View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenPatrice View Post
My yorkie puppy just will not potty outside! Yes, he has done it a few times but he thinks the house is his potty. I have him on a schedule with him being crated and then going outside regularly. He will stay outside for a long time and then come inside and use the potty. I thought having my mini schnauzer around would help because he is 100% housebroke. I just don't know what to do anymore. I thought about the fake grass potty patch or puppy pads. I've always had problems with puppy pads years ago, my puppy would tear them to shreds! I've never had a yorkie and my previous dogs were all sooo easy to train! Would you switch to another method?

Thanks so much!
How old is your puppy? How long do you keep him outside? 5 mins? 10 mins? 15 mins?

I would suggest you stay out for 20. If in that time he does not go bring him inside and back in the crate. Wait another 10 mins and then go outside. When you go outside use the potty command. Inside your house, clean everything with an enzyme cleaner. If you clean up and it smells clean to you, chances are it still smells like a potty to him because of his sensitive nose. Never allow your pup to roam your house. That's just setting him up to have an accident in the house. The only time he should have access to the house is after he has a good potty outside. Bring him in and let him roam for like 30-45 mins. Never leave him alone. If it's his free roam time, or play time, you must be supervising the entire time. As soon as you see him sniff or circle, pick him up and take him outside.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!