View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

I hope that you are up to the challenge. I believe you are. You have a 5-yr old that has been ripped away from everything that she has ever known. It is not easy to change for her now. She has been used to a doggy door and now she doesn't know where to go. If you have a room next to the back door that you can gate her in when you cannot watch her, then I would try that. She is crying because she misses her family and her puppies. My guess is that the woman re-homed her because she was at the end of her breeding life and that is why she kept a puppy. I don't believe it was because she didn't get along with her own puppies. Can you try to hang some big bells on a long ribbon on the door knob and try to teach her to ring them when she needs outside? She may pick up on that, but she may not, either. It's worth a try. It must be frustrating for her to not be able to go outside to potty, if she was used to a doggy door. She may be wanting out so much simply because she wants to go back to her home and her puppies. I don't know how much time you are going to have to re-train her, but it won't be easy and it WILL be a lot of work. Consistency and patience, as well as a tiny treat for being a good girl may well pay off for you in the end. I assume she hasn't been spayed, so that is something you will need to have done for her long term health. Let us know how things are going when you get a chance. Also, I hope you are using a harness and not a collar in order to protect her trachea when you take her for walks. Yorkies have very sensitive tracheas and that is something that people new to yorkies are not aware of. Wishing you well.

Last edited by yorkieusa; 11-06-2010 at 07:03 AM.
yorkieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!