View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Unhappy Frostbitten areas inside ear?

After taking what I thought was an excessive amount of care to be sure Jenna would not be outdoors too long in snowy weather (we've seen the last few weeks in Fairbanks go from the 30's above to almost 0 now), I think she must've gotten some snow in her right ear that I did not notice about a week ago, and so therefore I didn't clear it out with her Epi-Otic. For the last week I've been putting two to four drops of mometamax (her last script bottle which was given back in June) in her ear as per her doc's directions. She'd done a swab and couldn't find any bacteria, but I'd just cleaned the ear that morning, so maybe that was why. The eardrum was intact according to her.
Anyway, hubby made an ear cozy out of an old tube sock and it works to keep any further snow out of her ears (she looks like an old bag lady with it on, so pitiful!) and I pack it with a little cotton ball to help insulate the inside of the flap...but every time I have to take her out to potty, that ear gets worse.
I'm going back in tomorrow afternoon to the vet to see if something else can be done, but has anyone had experience with this? alaskayorkie, perhaps? I see a few blistered areas and spots of redness that extend around the little folds in her ear flap and into the canal (I can't get anything in there, the Epi-Otic had her screaming Monday, which was why I took her in the first time) and if I do the gunk comes out brown but not black, pretty normal. There's been some infinitesimal bleeding, but not since the mometamax. But the spots that are red seem to be getting worse and are even showing up in some new places today. If I didn't know better, I'd almost say the ear is actually drying out too much? But no, it has to be ice burn.
Plus there's a heck of a large (for a Yorkie) vein or artery showing in there now. I don't know if it's related.
How long will it take her ear to heal? And while I'm trying to get her to use a puppy pad instead of going outside, (she refuses and looks at me like I'm out of my mind for wanting her to put her 'stuff' in the mud closet!) she does really well if it's not bitter cold out and I don't want to lose her house training...but that ear really bothers me.
We only go out for about 15 minutes max during the warmer part of the day, and only about 5 minutes in the evening. This is enough for her to do all her business...but since the ear is hurt, I'm wondering what is going to freeze next??
Jenna AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!