View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Hopefully this little one has already been to the vet today and is recuperating. Hope you never go through that again! Some people have a human medication or two that they know they can give when needed as it has already been discussed with their vet -- things like a Tums, Benedryl, etc. But never something like Percoset! It contains acetaminophen, which can cause liver damage in dogs. I try to look at it like this: Would I give this to a human baby without a Doctor's approval? If the answer is "no" then I won't give it to my yorkies either.

For information purposes, human medications is number one on the ASPCA's list of common hazards. If you need to check on a potential poison, you can use the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control line at (888) 426-4435. Their site does say a $65 consultation fee can be charged to your credit card. I have heard from others that some info is free, but maybe when they get an actual vet on the line with a personal consultation for your dog the fee comes in to play. Still a small price to pay, if you need emergency info before you get in the car to take your dog to the vet. Some poisons need immediate action.

Pancreatitis can be a deadly disease. I am not sure from your post if your dog has just had an episode of pancreatitis or if it has chronic pancreatitis. Either way, I would have the vet spend some time with you going over information you need to know about diet, medications, and what to do in emergencies. Be well prepared in advance. Know what your plan is, in the event of an emergency after hours or on the weekend. Have an emergency vet checked out and numbers easily accessible. I would also make sure your financial situation is adequate or get pet insurance or a pet care credit card to make sure any emergency bills are covered. All pet owners have to be prepared for these things, but knowing one of yours has a serious condition, makes it even more so for you. If you are dealing with chronic pancreatitis, you may want to ask your vet if he will prescribe some meperidine or similar pain relief med for times when you can see your dog is in a high pain state (often they will hunch up if that is the case). You may also want to get some meds to help stop vomiting as that usually accompanies a pancreatic episode. Being prepared in advance like this, can help you but the vet will probably want you to also see him or an ER vet within so many hours as pancreatitis can turn serious so quickly.

If nothing else, this post just serves as an example for others to never consider giving their own pain meds to their yorkie! Hope your Max is doing well now.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!