View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
stahlt12345
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Puppies at 6 weeks old...

I have heard six weeks is the normal for a large breed puppy to leave it's dam. Large breed puppies mature faster than toy breeds.

Anyway, if your friend got the puppies at 6 weeks old. He vaccinated them at 9 weeks? He had them 3 weeks. Whatever happened, did not happen because of the breeder. That is too long after he picked them up. If they had died a week after getting his babies...maybe. But, there is also other factors to consider. Many people who are buying large breed puppies...seem to be dragging them to every Tom, Dick and Harry's house they know. If these puppies had not had vaccinations prior to your friends at 9 weeks of age. They could have been exposed to sooooo much in that 3 weeks. If your friend had ever had a puppy die of Parvo in his house... that could have done it. Obviously, the puppies had been away from the bitch long enough to lose her immunities that she had given them through her milk. I just had this happen to a friend. Her bitch quit nursing a litter at 4 weeks. She didn't give the first shot until 8 weeks. She has so far lost 1/2 the litter, and not at the same time. The vet told her all puppies should be vaccinated within 2 weeks of quitting nursing. That is why they recommend 6 week shots. I am sorry for your friend. but, all puppies should be vaccinated at 6 weeks of age. If there is a question on whether they were or weren't. I hate too...but, I always give them another one.

No necropsy, no clue... as to what really killed them. I would not be throwing stones at the breeder though. It is a little unfair. There is also a distemper going around that is pretty harsh, I here. And, there is always show crud. There are so many things that can kill puppies...you just cannot blame the breeder without a necropsy to prove she is at fault. And, tell your friend it is not a good idea to be bashing the breeder without medical "proof" as to why they died. She could get him on slander. They could have even gotten into a household cleaner or anything.

And, some bitches do all come into heat at the same time if you have more than one. And, I am almost certain Pit Bulls have larger litters than Yorkies. I have a friend that just had a litter of 16 Great Danes. One bitch! Does that make her a puppy mill? She only has the one dog...

Teresa
stahlt12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!