Thread: Mastisis
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
stahlt12345
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Gotta love Mastitis...

Lately, I have been getting very small litters (1 or 2 puppies). So, me and mastitis are pretty good friends...

First, is she on amoxicillin? I have started a routine of starting my girls on amoxicillin if they have a long, hard labor or very few puppies. I always seem to get mastitis if one or two puppies...and the vets put them on amoxicillin. So, if I put them on after whelping...I get some of the symptoms of mastitis...but, it never actually becomes mastitis.

Second, hot compresses. I use water as hot as I can stand on the inside of my inner arm. I use 1 cup of water to 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar. After she potties I hold the compress to the engorged nipple and the one across from it. I was told by the vet to not express it! And, I was told putting a puppy on it could make them sick. The vet said that too. After it cools...I take a raw cabbage leaf and bind it to her teat. I use the self sticking medical bandaging stuff. I put one loop around her. Then I check to make sure I am not covering any of the teats she is using. As I have been having such small litters...if I block off the one directly across from it, it doesn't really matter.

So, I am not a vet. The amoxicillin is the vets solution. The hot compress with apple cider vinegar is a folk remedy thing.

Good luck, and I do feel for you!

Teresa
stahlt12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!