View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
OwnedByJezebel
YT 1000 Club Member

I have a 14 year old Maltese that was just as picky as yours. She would eat something for a couple of days, then turn her nose up at it and practically starve herself. It is so frustrating.

About 8 months ago, I had a coupon for some commercially prepared raw (Nature's Variety) and I decided to try it. She ate it immediately, and in the past 8 months has not turned her nose up at it, not even once. I wish I had discovered it before 14 years of struggle.

I also just adopted / rehomed a 1 year old Yorkie. His previous owners said that he wasn't a "good eater." They were feeding him Nutro and bragged that they were feeding him the best that there was. Nutro is crap food, but I didn't say anything. You should see this guy chow down on the raw ... and readily eat kibble the rest of the day. I did not transition him slowly from the crap food to the good food. I threw the crap food away and he ate 100% of the good food beginning with the first time I fed him and there was absolutely no digestive upset or loose stools.

I've read all the stuff on why raw diets are supposed to be healthier, but to be honest that is not what sold me on the food. What sold me was how much the dogs like it and how readily they eat it. Feeding them has become SOOOOO much easier.

If you have access to it, I highly recommend trying it. There are several great brands, Nature's Variety, Stella and Chewy's, Primal, and others. I know Nature's Variety had a coupon (buy one bag, get one free) on their website, it might still be there. You have to fill out a very short survey (3 or 4 questions) to get it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!