View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
NikoNiks
Yorkie Talker

Default Yorkie not eating - woes and worrys

Hi All, I wanted to Introduce myself, I'm new to this forum and I've been researching it extensively! I have a 1 year old yorkie at home that I adopted almost a year ago.

In the beginning he ate what we gave him and me being amateur about his food ( I mixed like 10 different types of dry kibble - premium brands - artemis, blue buffalo, innova red meat small bites, blue buffalo senior (to balance out the high protein content in the other foods....and because it gives glucosamine for their joints..i know what was I thinking!!!!!!, any sample bags I would get, if he liked it/ate it, I would put it in the mix). As time went on he got pickier about his food, some days he would eat, some days not. I don't know why I mixed the foods, I thought it would offer him more variety, His vet told me it could be hard on his stomach and to stick with one food.

But before the vet telling me that I would research more food..when he had his phase of not eating his dry food I went out and bought The Honest Kitchen Force and he gobbled that stuff up like no ones business...after a while he would just lick it off.

Then I got worried about his weight, he is 3.4 lbs and 1 year old and a skinny little thing and I wanted to fatten him up, safely.

So i added wet food, then he just began to lick the wet food off the dry.

and now he is the pickiest thing ever and it is my fault.

Then I read threads about pancreatitis and thought oh crap, and now I am all worried about pancreatitis, hypoglycemia, etc etc.

So NOW I have a half bag of Royal Canine Yorkshire Terrior..or sensitive stomach that he preferred over all other foods but I know its not really good...and now he runs away from it!!

I have a huge bag of Innova Red Meat small bites..turns away from it

I have a half bag of Blue Buffalo Senior

I have a 3/4 full bag of FROMM Whitefish and Potato which he loved before but now he turns away from.

I also have a huge box of Force from The Honest Kitchen

I also have cans of Wellness 95% meat grain free dog food (like 2 cans).

I don't want to give him the wet food all the time, I'm more comfortable giving the dry but I've spoiled him.

So Now i'm thinking, should I start with Royal Canin since it is more enticing and get him to eat the dry first (he skipped the last 2 meals because we only put it out dry-- if I try to entice him with one or two pieces he just rolls all over it). So should I continue to put out the dry until he eventually eats and then after he finishes give him a tiny bit of force + wet canned as a little finisher/treat? If I mix them, he just ignores the dry completely. Maybe that will teach him to eat his dry first and then and only then will he get his wet?

I'm crazy I know. I just have all this food I want to be able to use it. I figured I would do what I mentioned, go through Royal Canin, and my other bags and then stick to one brand of dry food!

Yikes

I think I got bored with his food and went crazy like a 5 year old. Those damn pet shop people are so convincing.
NikoNiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!