Thread: Acana food
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I posted this on the other thread:

1/2 cup per day seems a lot for a 2lber for sure! My 15lb boy eats 1/2 cup per day, he also gets a bit of wet food mixed in and treats throughout the day but still. The fact that she is still a puppy, it might be okay but if she's not wanting a full 1/2 cup, then she probably doesn't need it.

Yes, with foods like Orijen and Acana you really don't need to feed much at all. They are very calorie dense. I believe Acana has 440 kcal/cup or something.

You need to take into account a dogs energy level, body type, etc, when deciding how much to feed. I never go by the bag. Jackson is a very active dog! Dog park 1-2x per week where he generally runs for 2 hours straight. Visits to my dads home where he also runs with their dogs alot! Walks every day from 30 minutes-1 hour. In the summer, he swims all summer long. He's in agility classes once a week, etc. If he's super active for the day, I will give him a bit more, maybe up it to 3/4 cup per day. Basically what I do is pour 1/2 cup of kibble into his bowl in the mornings (he doesn't usually like to eat in the mornings) so after dinner-time, I take whatever kibble is left and mix it with wet food for his dinner.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!