View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

This is what I did when I transitioned Kaji from free feeding to scheduled feeding.

I would put out a measured portion of food and set it down for him for 1 hr. If he didn't eat the food would be picked up until the next feeding. I know it sounds mean, but they will not starve themselves and will quickly learn to eat the food when it's available. But if you're a big ol' softy like me, and have the time to, mid day give them a teeny tiny snack just so they don't all day without anything in their tummys. Then I would do the same thing for dinner, set it down for an hour and then pick it up. Every day, I made food available for less time. I kept reducing it by 5 mins until food was only down for 20 mins. We had several dogs where Kaji and I lived, when I made the transition, so I always fed Kaji in his ex-pen. My roomies dog would wolf his food down if given the chance. She was a porkie chi mix.

Seperate rooms, or crates would work well for feeding time if you don't have ex-pens.

Good luck! Getting the babies to lose weight is hard. They're really good at giving us the puppy eyes. I always feel so guilty!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!