View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
I strongly suggest that this pup is not crated from 11:30 - 5, that is asking so much of a pup that shouldn't even be weaned, much less be away from it's mother. This pup is still an infant.

I strongly suggest that you obtain an x-pen with a lid (there are great canvas ones, with washable floors. Put her crate inside of the x-pen, without the door to insure that she doesn't get caught on it. Place a washable pee pad in a corner (not a throw away. Too dangerous as they tend to rip them apart and the fuzz gets in their little nostrils). Make sure she has water, food and toys. I'd get a coop type plate and water bottle. The coop/stainless steel plates are hung on the side of the x-pen.....less chance of puppy turning the food over. Water Bottle is also hung on the side, pup can't turn it over and it's more sanitary. Do not allow your pup run of the house, that is the one mistake made by most owners. You wouldn't bring your baby home from the hospital, put in on the floor and tell it here's your house. Dogs have to earn the right to full access of the house.

I don't know what age you "got rid" of the other yorkie (how sad) and I hope this pup doesn't go by the same route as your last yorkie. I tell all my yorkie families not to expect miracles until about 6 months of age. They are growing and teething, everything hurts them and they have the attention span of an ameba. This pup you should have more patience with, it was taken away from it's mother too soon. A pup shouldn't be taken away from it's mother until 12 weeks of age. The first 8 weeks of a pups life is for mom to nurture, feed it and provide to all their needs to survive. From 8 to 12 weeks mom does so much more. Teaches it proper behavior, socializes it, teaches it where to potty, how to play, where they fit in the scheme of things.

Needless to say you have to be consistent, patient and be a mom to this poor little pup that has had a poor headstart.
I'm so glad to see you posted!! I was hoping you would.

OP, she knows more than all the rest of us combined. I tried my best to give you ideas, but really, her word is what you should go by.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!