View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

I'm curious as to why you took this pup when you did. i understand the original owners were irresponsible at best wanting a 5 week old pup gone (why did they breed in the ifrst place, geez), but why did you not just say no to them and look elsewhere? Well what's done is done, i know, but like I said, just curious as to what you were thinking.

As for your last pup, how old was it when you got him/her, and how old when you gave up? I don't believe dogs are untrainable. I just think you did not find what worked for that particular dog. I'm afraid that the lack of attention this new pup is getting will make it doubly hard to train her.

You must get an ex pen like others have suggested, and esp like mardelin suggested get one with a lid bc they can be climbers.

Others have given you suggestions on what to do when the pup is alone, but when you are with the pup, you must keep an eye on her always to catch the signs of when they need to go. Don't wait for them to have an accident then scold and put them on the pad. Take them to the pad every hour or so and tell them "potty" or "pee pee" whatever you want the command to be. You will do this probably a million times and they will get it like once. But this is what goes into training them. It's hardest in the beginning but it does get easier. Consistency is key. Please do not give up like the last time.

Other signs to look out for when they need to go are sniffing the ground, trying to get farther away from their "area", and of course circling, but by then you better have a pad reeeeeallly close. Also, right after a nap, or after a meal, take her to the pad and telly her potty. when you are home with her, have her on her harness with a leash on attached to your belt. that way she is always by you and you can keep a better eye out on her. When you are home, don't just leave her in the pen again.

When Uni was a puppy, I woke up several times during to night to see if she needed to go. i put (and still do) a collar with a bell on it. During the night if I heard the bell (she slept in bed with me from day one) I would get up and take her to try and potty. Sometimes i would be with her for 20 mins before i decided fine she doesn't need to go. Needless to say, lots of sleepless nights for a few months but that is what goes into getting a puppy.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!