View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Doodlebug
♥Love My Puppies!♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Although, thought I should add for people not knowledgeable about the clicker. The clicker is not technically supposed to be used in THIS particular way (though, of course, if it's working, don't stop!)

The clicker is simply a tool that you use to mark a GOOD behavior. It's the basis of you saying "Yes!" to your dog but the clicker is a much more consistent clear marker rather than human voice. So by you clicking when she is barking... you're essentially telling her she did good and will get a treat. So just a warning to look out for the in the future... she may start barking at you for a treat, waiting for that click!

I only use the clicker when I am shaping a new trick. Once he has the trick down pat, he no longer needs a clicker.... it's supposed to be used just for the initial training.

So it would probably be better to teach some sort of a Quiet command rather than clicking WHILE she is barking, because you could potentially be reinforcing the behavior.
Thanks for explaining that because I don't want to suggest anyone use a clicker to reward bad behavior. But the way this has worked for me is that it distracted her from the oncoming dog before she got worked up about it. She no longer barks at the dogs coming at us at all! In fact she doesn't notice them and she is now walking calmly beside me like she has never done before. She isn't barking at dogs or barking at me for a treat. I am loving my 'new' dog.

I don't think that she got the message that she was being rewarded for bad behavior. I did make sure I was clicking when I spotted a dog and before she reacted to it. I haven't had to use the clicker at all the last few times we walked. The good news is that I can now successfully walk her around the park without a clicker and she is much more calm. I guess she is walking so well anticipating that she may get a treat at any minute but that is fine with me. After several years of dreading the daily trek to the park I am sooo relieved that our walks are pleasant now.

I didn't think of using the word "quiet" before clicking but I believe it would have taken forever for her to get that since she ignored the voice commands when she was going crazy. I was desparate for a quick answer. Can you explain using the clicker with the "quiet" command? Maybe I could have made it work. Thanks

Last edited by Doodlebug; 11-01-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!