View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Doodlebug
♥Love My Puppies!♥
Donating Member

Default A Training Godsend--The Clicker!

I have so many problems with Daisy wanting to charge another dog when I walk her that I have to walk in a totally different direction to pass another dog. She pulls on the leash and goes berzerk. That is...the did before I discovered the clicker.

Daisy knows a lot of tricks and she performs flawlessly every time and has won every obedience competition we have entered at Petsmart. BUT when we go for a walk and meet another dog she goes into a completely insane zone that I can't get her out of. I have about given up when I decided to try using a clicker to 'click' her out of the zone. I started by clicking it a few times in the house or back yard and giving her a tiny piece of a treat. Once she knew the click meant a treat she totally forgets what she was doing no matter how worked up she is, and runs to me for a treat.

I WISH I had thought of this sooner. She is 7 yrs old and I can now walk her peacefully without worrying about her going into the crazy zone when she passses another dog.

I'm sure that info about clicker training has been posted before but if I had only started using the clicker when she was running out the front door and escaping from the yard when she was younger, I don't think I would have had so many near nervous breakdowns. I hope this will help someone else with similar problems.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!