Thread: Skitish Puppy
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
jltwigg10
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Thank you everyone. I will try these suggestions.
He is so very sweet and I can tell that he wants to love me, I think he is just not sure if he CAN love me.

If I sit on the loveseat he will usually come up and sit on the other end and lay down and go to sleep. I have done this when the whole group is out for group playtime and times when it is just him out.

A friend told me that you can tell if you have their trust and how trainable they are by turning them over onto their backs and rubbing their belly. If they fight you then they are trying to remain in charge and may not trust completely. I realize that this may not hold true for all breeds. She trained Cocker Spaniels. I will say that he will let me lay him over on his back without any objection on his part and I can rub his belly or just hold him in my arms craddled like a baby, talking softly to him.
I found this out one evening because he went outside and was running and got into those weeds that have the little pieces that stick to your clothes like velcro. I think my mom use to call them hitchhikers or beggar weeds. Anyway, he had them all over his legs, head and tummy.

I have been patient with him and will continue to do so. We take time to be alone just him and I and that seems to have helped. He also knows how to sit now.

I am fine if he never becomes a licker, I do know that not all dogs are. I really just want to see him be as happy as he can be in our home. He is so beautiful and I love him so very much. He stole my heart in his pictures before I ever saw him in person.

Thank you again to all giving me such great advice.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!