View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yavenay View Post
I saw an excellent episode of Victoria Stillwell where there were two dogs, a chihuaua and a yorkie who were constantly fighting, I talking bout vicious attacks where blood would be drawn. I can't remember the episode but she solved this lady's problem. She couldn't even take them on walks together but by the end of the episode they were able to walk together and while they weren't best buddies, they were able to coexist peacefully. This poor lady was in tears because she was so terrified that she would have to give one away.

I can't remember all of but the gist of it was whenever the two dogs would even start to growl, she would remove one of the dogs or both of the dogs to separate rooms. She did this repeatedly until they were able to at least be in the same room with each other. After awhile the dogs learned that fighting would get them ban and they eventually stopped. She also took them to agility classes to help burn of energy. She also would play with them individually so that each felt like they had her undivided attention. If you go to her website the have a listing of her It's Me or the Dog episodes.
The above has worked for me! I have two females who will fight once in a while now but thankfully it is rare. They were awful for a time. I simply would snatch them both up at the same time and put each one in a room by herself. Their time outs would only last about 5 minutes. If they started again, immediately back to time out. The trick is to do it immediately. They quickly learn what is acceptable and what is not!

One thing I will caution you about is to NOT leave them alone together unsupervised! You could end up with a severely injured or even worse, dead dog.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!