View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
jencar98
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I use to think showing was a frivolous thing, somewhere for people to "show off" their dogs, much like a beauty contest. I have since learned that it's very difficult to properly evaluate ones own dogs, every pet owner thinks their dogs are cute, but there's so much more in evaluating a dog for breeding purposes. A person can learn a little about what standard is by reading the breed's standard, but to thoroughly learn what great structure is, you really need to be around dogs who have great structure, seeing them walk around the ring gives you so much information on what a proper yorkie should look like. Showing also allows you to meet other breeders who can help teach you more and even find dogs that might improve your line, if you have taken the time to learn how this is done. I get the impression that some breeders think just breeding a show dog to their line will improve their line, however this is just not true. Also, the yorkie attitude is a very important quality in a yorkie, and going to shows and seeing this is person is the best way to understand what this means, many dogs who have the looks just don't have the proper attitude, and this is such an important part of the yorkie. Showing is about preserving and improving the breed, I think it's impossible to be a great breeder if you don't show, it's too easy to develop "kennel blindness."
I think there are exceptions to this Nancy, I'm personally aware of a couple of different breeders that are not showing, I would categorize as good breeders. Now "great breeders" are few and I wouldn't use that adjective for most of the breeders I'm aware of, even if they do show. I believe to be a great breeder takes much more than being committed to showing dogs or even "loving" the breed.

I would prefer a breeder show but I don't think it's absolutely necessary in every case to be considered a good breeder. And, kennel blindness takes place often within the show world, even show people would have to agree I would think.

OP...I am aware of the purpose for showing, it's an assessment of breeding stock.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!