Thread: New Puppy
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahs Mom View Post
Thanks guys! I took Maya to the vet today, and was told she looked good. She weighed in at 1.75 lbs. Her teeth are not all the way in so I've been feeding her a milk replacement formula mixed with crushed dry puppy food. She seems to tolerate it well. I honestly don't think she was eating dry food before she left her breeder because the crappy dog food the breeder recommended was too big to fit into her mouth and never did get soft when wet. Thanks for the advice on the Nutrical (I'll pick some up tomorrow) and for all the well wishes. Its nice to have an entire community provide me good, experienced advice for my baby. Hopefully Maya will continue to do well.
Oh poor you and your new puppy. 6 weeks she should barely be being weaned.

A suggestion, no milk replacement formula. Goats milk with equal parts of distilled water and a bit of Karo, Mix in a bit of Gerber's baby rice cereal at least until all her puppy teeth are in. When teeth are all in, ommitt the cereal, grind puppy kibble and soak it into the milk. As time progressess, quit soaking the kibble but, add a bit of quality wet food. You can add grated cheese, parmasean cheese, cottage cheese. There is also a whelping pudding recipe in the breeder section. Also, there is a product called Benebac, it's a pro-biotic anytime you do changes tothe food give your puppy a tube.

Also, keep an eye on her stools, she may have tapeworms or other parasites. If she needs to be treated for anything other than tapeworms; Use a mild dewormer such as Nemex II. If she has tapeworms, consult your vet. Also, keep a close eye on her for coccidia, bloody dirreah is a symptom, get her to a vet for Albon.

Don't let your vet give any vaccinations until she is between 8 and 9 weeks.

We're here to help you.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!