View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
I wanted to add to something Ringo1 said - not only is the amount of protein important if the dog has liver disease, but the TYPE of protein is also a factor. For example, the amino acids that make up the protein in red meat are harder on the liver than other types of protein such as chicken or some fish.
This is true! We avoid red meat like the plague!

I guess the key is not to jump to any conclusions at this stage of the game.

Read up; do a little research on here and other sites on dog liver issues and see how your next test comes out. Bile Acid Test should be offered; perhaps this is what your Vet already has in mind.

I also wouldn't make any dog food changes until after your next test. No point in switching now and then having to switch again. But quality dog food is another thing you can be looking at. You can look at amount and type of protein once you get your tests back.

Lucy eats a vegetarian kibble in the morning (her vet does not agree with this) and a medium- protein kibble of an evening (he does agree with this). She loves cooked carrots, green beans, and can tolerate chicken and fish mixed in. She loves Cheerios too! My vet wanted me to keep her on a puppy food while she was still a puppy ~ even with her mild liver issues.

So, while I wouldn't be feeding her hot dogs or bits of steak at this point, I would hang in there and get that next test done. Cheerios are good for a treat right now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!