View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #11
ally173
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi-mama View Post
Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind words and support! I think I have aged by several years in the last two months, with Yoshi going to the vet basically every weekend either for new/old problems or for diagnostics.

Update on Yoshi: He is feeling much better - no throwing up for more than 24 hours and a nice hard poop in the morning: yay! (I am still amazed how a good poop from him makes my day!)

I do feel at times that I am overmedicating my doggie - right now the kitchen counter is full of his meds: Tylan, Reglan, Zantac, Panacur (the ER vet decided that it wouldn't hurt to de-worm him), probiotics. Besides Panacur, the vet did not have an exit strategy for any of the drugs.

Thank you also for your advice on the diet. The vet suggested that I stick with whatever food I picked for about 8-12 weeks to see if it works, so I think I'll follow her advice for now... but I'll come back and re-read all your good advice if the Wellness food I picked does not work out.

Lizzie07, LuvMySissy, teffiemoore, Ally173 - since your dogs have been diagnosed with IBD, what were the diagnostic tests that you had to go through? The ER vet suggested we start with the ultrasound - has that given a conclusive diagnosis for any of you? I feel that if we are going to end up doing an endoscopy anyway, then why waste time doing the ultrasound?

Thanks again for all your replies - it's comforting to know that we are not alone in this!
glad ur dog is doing better; how long do you have to give the panacur.
my dog was diagnosed with an endoscopy and biopsy.
ultrasound will not diagnose the IBD; a biopsy is needed via an endoscopy.
if this is IBD then a change in diet in necessary; what helped ava since she couldn't tolerate any dog food is a bland diet; of ground turkey and oatmeal. and after few months i switched her to aunt jeni's homemade food; it's supposed to be fed raw but i cook it. and lastly probiotics are crucial for any digestive disease. good luck
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!