View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Klyn
Senior Yorkie Talker

I'm certainly not a pro- my baby is only about 4mos.

Lacie is outdoor trained, but the concept is pretty much the same. It gets much easier as you get their schedule figured out. When we were first training her, we could not get her to go poo in the same trip as going potty. We put up temporary plastic gating around a small area in our backyard so she couldn't run back to the house. Anytime she had a poo accident in the house, we put her in that little area and dropped the poo in there by her.

Part of the reason it seemed difficult to poo-train her was because she'd get a treat for going potty, then she'd beg to get out. We would leave her in there for 5 mins, and most of the time she still wouldn't go poo. Then she would usually end up going poo in her play area inside within 10-30 mins after being outside.

So, if she hadn't gone poo since the previous feeding, we'd take her out 10mins after she went potty. We also noticed sometimes she'd have an accident while she was eating. So, if she seemed to get distracted part-way through a feeding, we'd take her out then as well. Now if she's eating and has to go poo, she'll whine and start sniffing around. She's also much more reliable with going poo if we leave her in her potty/poo area a little longer after a meal- enough to where we trust her if she doesn't seem to think she has to go poo.

Another important thing- make sure you use words like "potty" and "poo" in your training. You can say, "Good job going potty. Go poo now." If there's a poo accident, put him on his pad with the poo and say, "Poo on pad." Things like that. It just takes a lot of patience, and observation. You need to learn his cues as much as he needs to learn what you expect out of him.

I hope this helps. Good luck!!!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!