View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
MaltYorkiGal
Yorkie Talker

Default Penny's liver value is up!

Hi all

Sorry I haven't posted in soo long...since I got Penny in July...I miss coming on here to chat with fellow yorkie lovers!

I took Penny in to be spayed today and opted to have the recommended blood tests done on her. Boy, am I glad I did! My vet called me a while ago and told me that Penny's liver value is up. Penny's is 200. The vet says a normal liver value is 100. Im assuming the liver value is in points, as in 200 points? My heart sunk when I heard this.

He said this difference could be from something she ate. I then told him she eats dog food. I didn't tell him about the occasional Cheerio or piece of cheese, and I do really mean occasional...Ive given to her when potty training her. I don't give her other people food.

Or he said this difference in liver values could turn out to be a congenital problem in the liver and be a chronic/long term thing.

With this found out, the spaying is put on hold. Under anesthesia, because of the liver discrepancy, her blood pressure could drop and it could be a risk for surgery.

She will be on medication for two weeks and go back in for more blood work to re-check the liver. If it is normal, the vet will go ahead and reschedule the surgery.

Has anybody else had bloodwork done on their yorkie and found out their yorkie had a an elevated liver value? What actions did you take after hearing this? Did the problem turn out to be temporary (maybe something your yorkie ate) or long-term/chronic?

I would appreciate any advice, input any of you can give me

I am so, so glad I had blood work done on Penny before her spay. After this experience, I 110 percent recommend yorkie owners, or any dog owner have blood work done before spaying. Im not going to play the "what if I didn't have this bloodwork done" game. The important thing is I had it done and this elevated liver value was caught early.

Amy and Penny

Last edited by MaltYorkiGal; 10-25-2010 at 11:10 AM.
MaltYorkiGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!