View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Trace1
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Recurring skin condition - Allergies?

My mother and I have four pet-sized Yorkshire Terriers, one (Sumomo) of which is the daughter of two others (Thor and Lilly).

About 9 months ago, Thor (father - 15 lb.) and Sumomo (daughter - 12 lb.) developed strange scabby rash-like lesions on their chest and stomach areas. I was located in another town during this time, so my mother was attending to all of the dogs. I'm fairly sure that she wasn't batheing them as often as she should have because during my monthly visits, the dogs' coats would look unusually greasy.

At first, my mother treated them with a mange treatment, and she told me that it was actually clearing up the marks. Everytime, though, they would come back. Finally, I took Sumomo, who was in worse condition, to the vet, and he proscribed a few pills and a shampoo, which only worsened the lesions. About a month later, I took both Thor and Sumomo to a Banfield vet, and she gave them a steroid shot and put them on other medications, treating them for ALLERGIES. I also switched over to a no-soap shampoo (GRREAT CHOICE OATMEAL SHAMPOO). The skin issues dissappeared for about 3 weeks, but then steadily began to pop up again. Finally, 5 weeks after their initial visit with the Banfield vet, I took both father and daughter back, and she confirmed her suspicions that it was some type of staff infection from an allergic reaction. Thor now has very bad scabby marks on his back, and Sumomo has a few reddish rash-like ones on her stomach (The vet said they had to be caused by the same allergy that both father and daughter had, though).

I will not shorten their lives by giving them a regular steroid injection, but I want to relieve them of any suffering they may have from the skin issues. They don't seem to itch very much now and don't show signs of pain from the marks, but I want to them to be happy and healthy.

Here's a picture of one of Sumomo's marks: http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4052/1031668.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was wondering if anyone else had had similar issues with their yorkies, and if they discovered anything that helped relieve the infections or even discovered what it was that their yorkie was allergic to. Also, if they found that a transition to hypoallergenic dog food was worth the huge price tag attached to it.

Please please please... if anyone could offer any advice, stories, hypotheses, ANYTHING -- it would be much appreciated.

Blessed be.
Trace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!