View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Yoshi-mama
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Chronic digestive upsets - any advice?

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum, but I've been searching YT for advice for many months. My doggie, Yoshi, is a Biewer Yorkie, 2 years old and 6.4 lbs. I am wondering if anyone can help us solve the mystery of Yoshi's digestive problems.

Since he was about one year old, Yoshi had chronic stomach upsets. The earlier ones were vomiting episodes, and the later ones were a mix of diarrhea and vomiting. After every episode until the last one, the doctor put him on metronidazole, and it helped. Last episode started at the end of August, and we are still dealing with it. He had intermittent diarrhea and vomiting, and he was put on metronidazole (0.9 ml of liquid twice a day) for two weeks. A few days after he finished the treatment, he started having diarrhea again.

So we went back to the vet, who put him on Tylan powder (1/8th of a teaspoon twice a day). His diarrhea cleared right up, and he was a normal healthy dog for two weeks. But yesterday, he threw up a little of his food, and today he threw up three times (before I gave him Cerenia). At this point, I have no idea what it is he might be reacting to.

As far as diagnostic tests, he had a complete panel done, and recently (after he started Tylan), he had a GI panel done, and everything always came back normal. He also had fecal tests, and they came back negative as well.

I am feeding him Wellness Simple Food Solutions Lamb & Rice (canned) mixed with some boiled white rice. The vet wanted me to start feeding him Ultra Z/d, but when I read the ingredient list, I was horrified (especially the dry food - it has both BHA and ethoxyquin!). So I decided to try this Wellness food and see what happens. Prior to this, he's been on Natural Balance Ultra Premium, on Blue Buffalo, and on Wellness canned food. I did feed him boiled chicken and white rice for three weeks at some point, but he started throwing up on that, too.

All through this, his appetite has been ravenous - I am always happy about this, but now I'm starting to think that it might be a symptom. Also, we have moved around quite a lot, so I am starting to think that this might be emotional, but I have no idea on how to deal with it if it is...

Sorry for such a long post, but I'd love to get any advice or hypotheses as to what could be causing all these upsets. Thanks for reading!
Yoshi-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!