View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyG View Post
Hi folks,
I brought my new Yorkie puppy home last weekend, he is now 10 weeks old. He is simply gorgeous, and the family are completely in love with him.

The breeder was feeding him regular dog food, and I am thinking of putting him on puppy food.

He weighs 4lb already, but doesn't look too big or fat.

He wasn't potty trained either, so it is going to be hard work.

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to chatting with you all.
Congratulations on your new puppy at 4 pounds at 10 weeks of age he's on the upper end of the weight scale. He should be on puppy food. This period of his life he requires the best food possible. Puppy food is essential for his growth.

FYI. You are aware that he was removed from his mother a bit too young. The period between 8 to 12 weeks is so crucial in the puppy's life. They learn so much from their mothers. Socialization skills, manners, etc. In addition the breeder plays a big part in their development. Grooming manners, innoculations (a minimum of two when they leave the breeders house at a minimum of 12 weeks of age), and more.

Potty training, he's too young to expect any miracles. Everything hurts him right now, he's growing and teething. Even though my pups are piddle pad trained when they go home, pups still need be taught where to go in their new environment. But, they will still have accidents. Keep your pup in a confined area (x-pen with pee pads, bed, toys, food and water) and only allow him out when you can devote uninterrupted time with him. A pup needs to gain the right to free roam of the house. Needs to learn boundaries.
Just like children. You'd never bring a new born baby home and lay it on the middle of the floor and tell it here's your house, go for it. Same with a pup.

Good luck and have a wonderful time with your new addition.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!