View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksmama View Post
Thanks for all the usefull information! I would love to be able to bring Rosie into nursing homes to raise the spirits of the residents. I didn't realize that Petsmart offered the dog training classes....I will have to look into that. Does anyone know if the same laws apply for riding on an airplane for a therapy dog vs. a service dog?
This link, posted above, answers all:
Frequently Asked Questions - Emotional Support Animals | Service Dog Central

No, a therapy dog has NO more rights than a regular pet, other than the fact that they can go into hospitals and nursing homes, however that cannot be unannounced. You can't just walk into a hospital with your therapy dog and be accepted in. It has to be a scheduled visit, etc. And no, they're not allowed on an airplane with you (unless of course you are paying for them and they have to stay under your seat, etc).

A service dog is something totally different. They are trained for often 1-2 years before going home to help a disabled person. An emotional support dog is different to... the only rights they have that regular pets do not are the fact that they ARE allowed in buildings, apartments, etc that typically have a 'no dogs' policy. They are also allowed on a plane and I believe it does not cost you anything, and they do not have to be under the seat.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!