View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
Rachael x
Poppy's Mamma ♥
Donating Member

Have you trained him on the pee pads?
If not there is no use putting them down because he wont know what they are or what they are for.
If you HAVE trained him on the pads but are taking him outside when you are home this may be confusing him.
My pup is 5 1/2 months old, I got her at 6 weeks and she has been pad trained since she was 2 months old.
The past few weeks I have started to train her to go outside.
I would take her outside every hour to potty but would leave a pad at the back door just in case, well she started to totally ignore the pad so I think it was confusing her.
She was in a pen with a pad at one end while we were at work, so I think she was confused because it was okay for her to use the pad while in the pen but when out of the pen she must go outside??
So I decided to remove the pads all together and crate her at night and when we are at work.
Poppy is left alone for a max of 5 hours (not every day) as I still live with my parents and we all work different shift patterns so I can see we have it easier then you do.
But she does hold it when she is in the crate and that includes over night which is around 8 hours, being the same age as your little one he should be able to hold it.
Some people think the crate is cruel, its the opposite.
The crate is the easiest way to train IMO, your pup may not like it at first but he will begin to see it as his 'den' and will learn to love it.
Put the crate in your bedroom so hes not alone at night and he should do fine. Good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!