View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Freddy_SW
Yorkie Yakker

Default To crate or not...that's the questions?

Okay, i just have to ask you guys for advice. Especially the ones that did not crate train their Yorkies but still got them potty trained.

That's the story:

I have had Freddy for 2 months. I got him when he was 3 months. I try to potty train him to go outside only. While I am at work he spends the day in the gated off kitchen. He goes anywhere in the kitchen, although i put potty pads down but sometimes he uses them..sometimes he doesn't. He also prefers newspaper. Well, when i am home i take him out to potty every 2 hours or so...and it is going good. He knows what "potty" means and does go outside when i take him out. He is learning to use the bell to let me know that he needs to go...but not all the time...well we are working on that.

My question is: how is he going to understand that he needs to hold it while i am at work? I believe that he will just go anywhere because i am not there to tell him to go on the potty pads and when i am home, i take him outside. Now i am thinking about crate training him...i do not like the thought of him being in the crate for over 8 hours but i don't think i will ever get him potty trained if he can go in the kitchen...you know what i mean? He hates being in his crate. (We let him sleep in the bed with us because he would cry all night when he was in his crate and sleeps through the night in the bed.)

I know that he can hold it for such a long time because i did put him in the crate once before when i was working and he did hold it until i was home to let him out.

How did you guys potty train your baby without using the crate method? I know that there is a lot of info on YT about potty training but everything is pretty much about crate training.....

Would also be thankful for a link to a thread that explains other methods...
Freddy_SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!