Thread: Overweight
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I think feeding a 6 month old puppy twice a day is fine, but I agree with the others that you need to be sure he is really overweight. Check with the vet an/or feel for ribs. Hard to put a pup of less than a year on a diet. I had to check on tripe. I thought it was a high fat food, but a whole cup is only 140 some calories, 50 some fat calories. So, if he is only getting a few spoons full at a time, it is probably not that many calories.

How many times a day have you been feeding? Or do you free feed now? I guess what I am looking for is how much of a reduction are you talking about? I actually think 1/4 cup twice a day is a small amount for an 8 pound puppy. It does depend on the food you are feeding though. What kibble are you using and what does it recommend for the weight your pup is now? What about snacks/treats? Are you giving them in addition to the food? I would cut treats or exchange them for baby carrots and green beans before reducing kibble.

Another topic to consider is exercise. Do you take your pup for walks a couple of times a day? Maybe increase the duration of walks to burn off extra calories.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!