View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #13
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I second the idea to shampoo thoroughly with the Dawn dishwashing liquid and comb with flea comb. Do this two days in a row then skip a few days and do it two more days in a row. That will get the newly hatched eggs. But with this many, you definately are going to need some med along with this treatment. I don't like using chemicals if I can help it but if mine get fleas, then I would go back to using Frontline Plus for a while. I shampoo mine with Minksheen shampoo for dogs -- it has natural pesticides in it. That is all I have used for over a year and no fleas. So, I would also highly recommend that for weekly or bi-weekly use.

Have you checked your carpets? Sometimes dogs will bring in fleas and they will multiply in the carpet. Vacuum thoroughly, emptying the vacuum after and disposing of the contents, and then steam clean carpets or have them done. You can also use Flea Stoppers powder on the carpet. It is safe for children & pets. Regular Borax can be sprinkled on the carpets, left overnight and then vacuumed off.

Another thing to consider is fleas in your yard. If you have a lot of squirrels in your area, they may be bringing them into the yard. Most insecticides you use on your lawn are harmful to our pups, so keep them out of the yard for a few days after treatment if you use them. Lining your yard with cedar chips, planting eucalyptus and/or marigolds can also help. Some recommend diatamaceous earth. I do not like to use it as it can be harmful to our dogs lungs since they are so close to the ground. Some treat their yards with a mix of Borax, the diatomaceous earth and salt. I think this would work well IF you can keep your dogs away from the yard for a few days after treatment, at least til a good rain. I have used just the borax alone years ago and think it is great against fleas and safe. Make sure it is Borax (like the 20 Mule Team kind) not boric acid which would be a poison. Although fairly safe, even the Borax might irritate skin and eyes if your dog were to get into a bunch of it. So, sprinkle lightly.

Last edited by FlDebra; 10-17-2010 at 04:23 AM.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!