View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

My last trip to India was in 1998 so quite some time ago. But I do want to share with you just two of my experiences there, as it has to do with dogs. We were in Rajisthan, at the Red Fort, and we were at a look out point, just admiring the view. There were a few sheep grazing in the grass below us, and then, along came three dogs. They hunted these sheep, worked as team. Two observers who I assume were native Indians, took off down the slope, by the time they got there, the dogs had sliced open one of the sheeps neck. they carried this sheep back up the slope, while the other with stick in hand chased off the dogs. This was on the outskirts of a major Indian city.

Often times in walking the streets of an Indian city, I'd see stray dogs. Mangy, dirty, ribs showing through. Well one day coming back to the hostel after dinner, I saw a pup. Crying, shivering, (it was cool out that night), what I think was the mother, dead a little distance behind the pup. I kind of lost it. I made my friend, go to any open restaurant and beg some milk, then I made him go back to our hostel, and get my heaviest sweater, and then when he came back, I said no way am I leaving this pup here, I wrapped him up, took the milk, and said Saunder, you have to help me sneak him into the hostel. And god bless him so he did.
The next morning I marched down to the desk, and spoke to the manager. I told him, what I had done, and said, please help me find a home for this pup. He is loving, affable and friendly. Also I need some warm milk, and some porridege, for right now. I will be here all day. I will go with any reputable person, to a vet for his examination, furthermore, I will prepay this vet for this dogs first year of life vet care. Spay and neuter, vaccinations, deworming, health checks, etc.

And so I waited. The milk and food were delivered to my room 4x that day. In the evening the manager called me and said I have two woman for you to meet. And so I did in the restaurant next door. I could tell by their dress they had the wherewithall. But it was evening no vets open then. EAch meet the pup, I observed their interaction. Their english was pretty good. I said if I let you have this pup, you must go to the vet of my choosing. It will be one fairly near to this hotel. By now I had gotten the names of some vets and called them.
Anyhow to make this shorter (lol), the next day I went with the one lady I thought would be best for him, and we took him to the vet. Luckily his initial visit was good. Although I couldn't know at that time about what fecal or blood work would show. I settled up with the vet. The lady left with the dog. I heard from that vet for two years, she did bring him in for routine exams, did vaccinate, and did spay this boy.

Anyhow, all this to say, I would not take a pup, nor a full grown dog to India, unless as I said before, I was staying with friends there, who a)owned dogs, and b) had the fenced space to run them in.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!