View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #19
Snow Yorkies
Biewer Passionate
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy
OMG....Add my thoughts and prayers to all of the others.
I have in recent weeks gone through 5 bouts og HGE so I so very much empathize with what you are going through. They all had to be hospitalized for hydration , Glucose and IV antibiotics. Didn't your vet suggest keeping him there ? But maybe he is just better off with his Mama as long as you are able to give him the glucose injections.
Please G-d spare the baby.....
I hope and pray your little baby will be tough enough to pull out of this.

My vet is a country doctor so they don't have around the clock care, and I would want him to be watched continuously. Since I have some knowledge of injections and know how to administer them the vet felt confident he was better in my home. This way he could be with his mother for feedings, even though he was almost totally weaned, it is better for him to have his mother's milk than anything, as there are anti-bodies in the milk, that will work in conjuction with the antibotics. From my understanding yesterday, that you can force so many fluids as well, everything is administered by weight.

YorkyKids
Did your vet mention the "doggy flu" that is going around all over the nation? The sudden onset is what made me think of this. And the doggy flu does progress into a really bad case of pneumonia. Just thought this might be worth mentioning. Hope Little Man gets better really soon.

Yes, this was talked about during the exam... Not likely in this situation. He has been with his litter mates and all of them remain healthy and strong. What we have come up with is sometimes he was a "greedy eater" and some of the fluids must have entered his lungs, then the infection set in over a peroid of time. And that is why he went down so fast. It was his labored breathing that caught my eye first, then upon examing him I saw his dehyration and knew we had to move fast...Thank you for the suggestion of getting to the bottom of this.

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers for "Little Man" , not to mention all these wonderful suggestions and ideas. You all don't know how much this means to me. Thank you....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!