View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
amiemarie7
Yorkie Talker

Default potty training advice, lots of ?s

we just got our little boy on saturday, and he is adorable. 13 weeks old. i have had 2 cavaliers in the past, and one still is with us, who obviously goes outside. we had no problem with praising, rewards, ect, to potty train. i look at this little puppy and think he is just too small for outside. do you think it is more common to indoor potty train yorkies? or would it be better to outside train since the other dog may help "teach" him? im esp concerned about the outdoors being too cold with winter coming, where he wont want to go outside at all?

secondly, while i understand the practicallity of using disposable pads, we live an environmentally conscious life, and try to limit our wastes. i cannot myself justify using those pads for a puppy for years considering i cloth diapered my children to avoid disposable diapers for a much shorter time. do you think paper training will pose more problems for indoor training?

has anyone had any experience with a grate system where the puppy's uring goes below so he wont have to step on it?

now for the night, the puppy is in his little crate next to my bed on the nightstand. he goes right to sleep when he can see me, then wakes 1-2 times a night. he is put in his expen with only his "potty pan" with the paper. when we leave the house, he is in his expen with his crate opended an potty pan. 90% of the time, he goes on the paper. just a few times, he has gone on the tile.

so my issue is the day. when i try to bring him to his expen after playing, eating, sleeping, or just hours after he hasnt gone, he doesnt go. the only time he goes in the day are when i finally leave the room and he stays in the expen for an hour. ill come back, and he has went. i feel like i am never getting a chance to praise or reward him for going in the correct place. sooooo, when he is running around playing for a long while, should i instead have a daytime potty area downstairs with the same pan setup, where i actually bring him to it with his harness, as if im taking him outside?

i feel like the expen isnt going to give me a chance to "train" him since i never get to praise him. i am hoping to be able to give him limited access to the downstairs, and have him have access to the potty pan, when we are out. is this a reasonable expectation? would this be more reasonable for a yorkie trained to go outside? i just feel like im just containing where he goes, rather than teaching him.

any help would be appreciated!
amiemarie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!