View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Lizzie07
YT 1000 Club Member

I wish I had gotten a video, I just didn't think about it.

I have agility titles on three dogs and I have to say, I was so darned nervous. Dogs run naked in NADAC and there is just something about turning my baby loose for the first time, at an equestrian park with a lot of BIG dogs around that made me nervous and a little scared.

Our first run was the jumpers run. I took her in the ring with a buddy harness on, I don't know why, and it was awkward taking it off. Then I set Liz down pretty close to the first jump and kind of took off on her, wherein she ran around the jump to catch up to me. She did everything else really well, ran her little legs off and totally made me proud. We might have been okay if I had gone back to make her do the first jump, but I don't do that in classes and I don't want to in trials because I think I demotivated one of my dogs doing that. Getting the harness on her before taking her out of the ring was awkward too, and I used a martingale for the second run, which was much better.

Our second run was Touch n Go and it went great with the exception of the first two obstacles. They were hula hoops that Liz had never seen. I also set her up too close to the first one and she went around it and the second one. I don't think I took off on her, but I know I didn't start like I do in classes. When someone told me about the hula hoops, I thought the dog had to run through the hula hoop laying flat on the ground, not like a ring. She was suppose to run through them like through a tire, but she missed them. Oddly she did the very last obstacle, which was a hula hoop, but I don't know why she did. She had a great run otherwise.

I'm really proud of Liz. I just love seeing her run with her hair flying back and and intent look on her face. I consider all the mistakes my fault and given time to think the runs over, I feel I handled her badly at the start for both runs. Holding her, then setting her down and taking off was badly done on my part. I think it was part of my nervousness. I decided not to do the tunnelers because it was the last run of the day and I didn't want to hang around all day.

It's been five years since I've entered and agility trial and boy, did I miss it. It was so much fun. I can't wait to enter more!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!