View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

I'll give you some info from the experts........

"Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified live virus vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces immunity, which is good for the life of the pet (ie: canine distemper, parvo, feline distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second vaccine and there is little or no effect. The titers are not “boosted” nor are more memory cells induced. "J Dodds, DVM

"What are the ethical and legal implications if vets continue to insist their clients unnecessarily re-vaccinate their dogs annually or triennially with core MLV vaccines? These recommendations are not evidence-based. It is not ethical practice to urge clients to have medical interventions for their pets that are not needed and which may cause harm – Ronald Schultz calls this “an unacceptable medical procedure”.

"It is commonly held that puppies need a certain number of vaccines for protection to be achieved (usually either 3 or 4 is the “magic” number). The number of vaccines given has nothing to do with protection. In order for protection to be achieved, vaccine must be given when it can penetrate maternal antibody. " (American Animal Hospital Association)

"Earlier vaccine guidelines issued by the AAHA Canine Vaccine Task Force in 2003 note that MLV vaccines are likely to provide lifelong immunity, stating “when MLV vaccines are used to immunize a dog, memory cells develop and likely persist for the life of the animal”.
Professor Ronald Schultz, a renowned expert in immunology, says that if a puppy is immunized with the three MLV vaccines to prevent parvovirus, distemper virus and adenovirus “there is every reason to believe the vaccinated animal will have up to life-long immunity”. Schultz advises that puppies should be revaccinated at one year of age with the vaccines used earlier. After that he does not believe there is any immunologic need to revaccinate annually with these vaccines."

"Ronald Schultz provides an analogy with human measles vaccination, noting we don’t regularly revaccinate people. Schultz notes “the immune system of a person is similar to that of an animal, and since immunity persists for the life of a person (average 70+ years), then why wouldn’t immunity from canine or feline vaccines persist for 10 to 15 years? The answer is that many canine and feline vaccines do provide the same lifelong immunity”.

"The AAHA Guidelines Special Report state on Page 18 that: “We now know that booster injections are of no value in dogs already immune, and immunity from distemper infection and vaccination lasts for a minimum of 7 years based on challenge studies and up to 15 years (a lifetime) based on antibody titer.”They further state that hepatitis and parvovirus vaccines have been proven to protect for a minimum of 7 years by challenge and up to 9 and 10 years based on antibody count."

"The people of the State of Texas have paid over $360 million dollars per year for vaccinations that are unnecessary and potentially harmful to their pets. Over 600,000 pets suffer every year from adverse reactions to unnecessary vaccinations. Many of them die.
A survey by the American Animal Hospital Association shows that less than 7% of Veterinarians have updated their vaccination recommendations, in spite of the fact that these new recommendations have been published twice in every major Veterinary Medical Journal since 1995." (Dr. Rogers)

"One of the veterinary pioneers, Dr. W. Jean Dodds, president of the nonprofit animal version of the Red Cross called Hemopet, reported that the recommendations for annual vaccines were just that -- recommendations. They were not based on any scientific evidence.
The recommendations for annual vaccination were put forth jointly by the United States Department of Agriculture and the drug companies, more than twenty years ago. And veterinary medicine has continued to do it that way because, well, that’s the way it’s always been done."

Anecdotally, Ronald Schultz reports:
"I have also been told by many practitioners that: “I believe the duration of immunity for some vaccines like distemper, parvovirus and hepatitis is many years, but until I find another way to get the client into my office on a regular basis I’m going to keep recommending vaccines annually”.107(Schultz, R.D. 2007. )
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!