View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
MellyBelly Mom
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegypsies View Post
Ok, we spent a good part of the day and a ton of money at the emergency vet today. Dexter was eating and drinking ok, but still won't come to me and acts so completely different than he did the first 4 days we had him. Blood tests, exam, etc. are all normal. Diagnosis: neurotic!

I'm sure what I'm about to say will result in a lot of negative replies... but I'm going to say it anyway.

In the past 35 years I've VERY successfully raised/owned rotties, goldens, cocker, cockapoo, shepherd/aussie mix, and newfie mix. Most have been rescues, some even geriatrics. I've obedience trained them all. My dogs were always well cared for, faithful, and affectionate. I take being a dog owner very seriously and can't stand the people who treat dogs as something disposable. I've had a lot of people ask my advice concerning training, behavior, etc. I've worked dogs through previous abuse and neglect issues -- they've been the best dogs!! I've had very large dogs who were extemely sensitive and shy. Some have had to been clipped close because of the condition I got them in. But none have ever behaved the way Dexter has.

I know a lot of people personify their pets. I've been guilty of that as well to some degree at different times. But, we have to remember they are still dogs -- they aren't human and not capable of most human emotions. Pampering and rewards while displaying inappropriate or unwanted behavior isn't going to help in the long run.

I understand that different dogs require different handling/training -- level of firmess, etc. Just because a dog is small doesn't mean they don't have to follow the same rules a large dog does. They should be held to the same standard of obedience. If not for household harmony, then for the dog's safety.

For a week now I've had people telling me I should just let Dexter do whatever, and most recently to give him treats until he "snaps" out of it since he was a stray and got a hair cut 4 days ago; that's it's ok to allow him to not respond or come when he's called. I can't live like this and I don't think it's fair to Dexter either. So, beginning tomorrow we're going to keep the harness on, and the leash if necessary, and start obedience training from the beginning -- gently, of course. Since he does well on a lead, maybe this will help. If it doesn't, I don't know what I'll do. But in order to fit into this household, Dexter has to first and foremost be a dog, and secondly, he has to mind.

Before a gazzilion people send me ugly replies, think for a minute... would Cesar Millan allow this type of behavior?????
I don't know what you are talking about really. MY dog is too cute to be reprimanded, they are just tiny little things, you did not describe misbehavior. I'm no dog expert and am owned by my Yorkie for 1 year now, she won't always come, and I don't expect her to do what I wanna all the time. I do expect obedience, of course, but we also know each other and I respect Melanie being Melanie. You barely know him, he barely know you, so please give him some time before going to harsh on him. Try to play with him, speak to him kindly and softly, run around, play wrestling, teach him tricks and praise him when he gets that right. Bond with him, try to gain his trust, you CAN NOT expect that the dog will obey you after a week in your home.

I don't know what first and foremost be a dog means, most of us here think of our yorkies as our little babies. So really, I have no idea about what you are talking about. You will need lots of patience in order to gain his trust, if you can't be patient about that you may wanna think about making him available to someone else who does.

Ah! And if you were already expecting ugly replies, then you shouldn't have posted this here. Most of us personify our pets.

Last edited by MellyBelly Mom; 10-11-2010 at 12:48 AM.
MellyBelly Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!