View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #11
wegypsies
Yorkie Talker

Ok, we spent a good part of the day and a ton of money at the emergency vet today. Dexter was eating and drinking ok, but still won't come to me and acts so completely different than he did the first 4 days we had him. Blood tests, exam, etc. are all normal. Diagnosis: neurotic!

I'm sure what I'm about to say will result in a lot of negative replies... but I'm going to say it anyway.

In the past 35 years I've VERY successfully raised/owned rotties, goldens, cocker, cockapoo, shepherd/aussie mix, and newfie mix. Most have been rescues, some even geriatrics. I've obedience trained them all. My dogs were always well cared for, faithful, and affectionate. I take being a dog owner very seriously and can't stand the people who treat dogs as something disposable. I've had a lot of people ask my advice concerning training, behavior, etc. I've worked dogs through previous abuse and neglect issues -- they've been the best dogs!! I've had very large dogs who were extemely sensitive and shy. Some have had to been clipped close because of the condition I got them in. But none have ever behaved the way Dexter has.

I know a lot of people personify their pets. I've been guilty of that as well to some degree at different times. But, we have to remember they are still dogs -- they aren't human and not capable of most human emotions. Pampering and rewards while displaying inappropriate or unwanted behavior isn't going to help in the long run.

I understand that different dogs require different handling/training -- level of firmess, etc. Just because a dog is small doesn't mean they don't have to follow the same rules a large dog does. They should be held to the same standard of obedience. If not for household harmony, then for the dog's safety.

For a week now I've had people telling me I should just let Dexter do whatever, and most recently to give him treats until he "snaps" out of it since he was a stray and got a hair cut 4 days ago; that's it's ok to allow him to not respond or come when he's called. I can't live like this and I don't think it's fair to Dexter either. So, beginning tomorrow we're going to keep the harness on, and the leash if necessary, and start obedience training from the beginning -- gently, of course. Since he does well on a lead, maybe this will help. If it doesn't, I don't know what I'll do. But in order to fit into this household, Dexter has to first and foremost be a dog, and secondly, he has to mind.

Before a gazzilion people send me ugly replies, think for a minute... would Cesar Millan allow this type of behavior?????
wegypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!