View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
yorkielady06
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose View Post
I used to board Yorkies for friends and others..many were hand fed..one was offered a bowl of ice water every hour or so and I was told that was the only way she would drink. The owner had a heart attack and recovery took about a month...I kept her Yorkie during this time...I put the water bowl down and told the dog she had the choice to drink or not to drink..of course she did not understand my words, but dogs do understand body language and tone if voice..the dog drank fine from the bowl..

This also applies to eating...I have never had a dog starve themself to death or even come near it..as a rule it takes 3 days and they will eat...BUT you attitute is very important and if the Yorkie suppects you are worried and concerned you have lost the battle...make an issue of eating and it will be an issue..or you can put the food down and go about your day...your dog may lose a bit of weight, but a touch underweight is much healthier for them anyway..I would only be concerned if my Yorkie became weak from lack of food, but if they show no signs and are walking, playing, acting normal, they are fine..your Yorkie is playing you like a piano.
Agree 100%
Heard it many times, dog won't eat, tried all the dog foods from dry to wet to home cooked. I take them in for a week and they are eating fine and drinking fine within 3 days. They are smart and will play you until you are eating out of their paws..
Take a step back and remember that no matter how we think they are still dogs They eat their own poop or each others, they eat dirt and rocks, mice and rotten things. We may try to humanize them and baby them but that does not do them any favors when they become terrors or manipulators.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!