View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
proudmama
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Love Training x 2 - HELP! Please...

I am creating a new thread for this because everyone's situation is a little different...

I have two yorkies, a male and a female (male- 2yrs old, female- 4 months).

The male is not neutered and due to my poor training methods, and spoiling of him when he was young, and also moving houses 3x in his first year... he has had some issues marking and hiding his potty.

I have since adjusted my methods to exercising him more, trying to have fixed feeding schedules (but that didn't work so he is free fed his hard food), using a 'male wrap' when he is indoors. also, he is free to roam around the house as he had always been...
his marking has gotten *better* but it still needs to improve by at least half if not all.

my female is crated and has a pen for when i cannot keep my full eyes on her. she also makes accidents right now, of course! she is still quite young.. but at the most vital time for training! she gives kisses, does circles...
anyways, she is given feeding times, let out lots as we are training her to go outdoors, and knows the command "go potty", as does the male.
in her pen is her crate, room for her to play, her food, some toys and a fabric pee pad.
i use the pee pad because in the morning when i get ready for work she likes to wander for about 30-45 mins while eating breakfast and take her potty at her leisure. since during the week i can't take her out for long i use the pen to contain her so she can make her potty on the designated spot. i close the crate door at this time so she doesn't potty in there *its happened before*
she usually goes on the right spot at the right time.

i want to get both of my differently scheduled pets on a similar routine and one that is balanced and stays the same for their benefit.

i work 9-5 mon-fri and my boyfriend works random days 3pm-11pm, 11pm-7am, and 7am-3pm.

our schedules are pretty flexible in the sense that the dogs aren't left alone for too long at a time - also my grandfather lives with us and he lets the male outdoors during the day and night as well. (male roams house and female is crated)

I am planning to continue crating my female and as much as I would like to crate my male, he would constantly whine and cry as he is doing so right now just being in the large pen.

all your suggestions and schedules for a new and better routine that might work are greatly appreciated.

also, please advise how LONG certain methods need to me carried along for and what to do when they don't work the first bunch of times...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ AND REPLY
proudmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!