View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDogBoots View Post
Books are helpful, Dyan

I've been working on drop it with Cooper for months but nothing seems to work.

I've made a huge mistake in feeding Max first and giving Max things first. I'm not sure why I started that but I will change it immediately. I always put Max's food bowl down first, while Cooper sits very nicely waiting for his. Max is not very calm when it's feeding time and I've given in to just feeding him. He'll sit, but you can see he's not calm at all. I'll change that at their next meal today.

It helps so much to type everything out and reread it. I see I'm making Max the alpha dog and that could lead to Coop's aggression.

Does anyone have any tips on training drop it? The same goes for when we are playing ball. I literally have to pull the ball from Cooper's teeth to throw it for him. He knows what drop it means but refuses.
This is exactly what I was thinking when you said that Max will go to Coopers bowl after he is done. My first thought was that you were allowing him to be finished first. When I feed my 3 it is always Pebbles that is fed first. I put her bowl on the floor empty and she sits, gives paw, then I fill the bowl and paw again. If she is acting to pushy for her food I make her wait~and she does. Then she will give paw again and is allowed to eat. Can you tell that I make her really work for it? The other two will hang out and wait their turn. Since Pebbles was the one I was having issues with food I make her work harder than the others. Dbug and Bog will already have their food in the bowls and I just place them on the floor. Everyone is finished at the same time and they will then sniff each others bowls while getting along. But this was not always the case until I changed the way the Pebbles was fed.

So I guess the point I am trying to make it to have Cooper work for his food and eed him first. That way Cooper is not the first one finished.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!