View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
DamSweet
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDogBoots View Post
Books are helpful, Dyan

I've been working on drop it with Cooper for months but nothing seems to work.

I've made a huge mistake in feeding Max first and giving Max things first. I'm not sure why I started that but I will change it immediately. I always put Max's food bowl down first, while Cooper sits very nicely waiting for his. Max is not very calm when it's feeding time and I've given in to just feeding him. He'll sit, but you can see he's not calm at all. I'll change that at their next meal today.

It helps so much to type everything out and reread it. I see I'm making Max the alpha dog and that could lead to Coop's aggression.

Does anyone have any tips on training drop it? The same goes for when we are playing ball. I literally have to pull the ball from Cooper's teeth to throw it for him. He knows what drop it means but refuses.
This second baby is really an interesting thing....I've gone to school on everyone elses threads. Things are going well with Bridget and Greta and like Cooper and Max - the "treat" thing is where it can get "if-y". I do give to Bridget first, and to Greta immediately afterwards. Bridget will drop hers and go get Greta's then go back and try to get her in her mouth also. Greta is such a little lady - she doesn't put up too much of a fuss - probably because she knows I'll get it back for her. If I can catch Bridget going for Greta's treat - I try to distract her with a toy - she then usually forgets what she was going after.

I've read to try to stop things before they happen. I try to get Bridgets attention before I do anything that I think may cause her to feel she has to get agressive. In the evening they get a little turkey, and I sit them down - one one each side and I can see Bridget getting excited (while Greta sits like a little lady). I make sure Bridget "SITS" before I give out the treat - at the same time - one on each side. I can then control how much Bridget (my little "P"orkie) eats so she's not done before Greta (who I swear must hold up her little paw pinkie when she eats".

When I come home from work - both girls are excited, but I make them calm down before letting them out of their room. Then I greet Bridget first, and as guilty as I feel about that - I don't think Greta even notices because Bridget is like a maniac and gets out the gate first. The girls stay together during the day, in a room big enough to get away from each other if they need to. But one of us was home for a week and a half before this and gradually built up to several hours. That was the reason for having 2 - company for each other. I would feel bad if I had to keep them seperate.

I do not, however, put any kind of treat, or chewy in their room with them when I'm not home. Anything that I've seen that could cause a spark is not allowed if I'm not right there. I've found with my girls it starts with Bridget feeling she should have everything....from all the treats to all my attention. She is getting better about that. For the longest time if Greta came over to me she would leave whatever it was she was doing to squeeze in between us - now she's good with it. As soon as Greta goes to play I make a point of going to Bridget and saying what a good girl she is.

Sometimes I think it sounds worse than it is....like children....lots of screaming and yelling, and maybe a little hair pulling - but in the end they're friends. Everyone is just letting the other know what they will and will not stand for - and we as parents just need to oversee that no one gets hurt in the process...

As far as "drop it". Bridget won't "drop it' for me - she will for my fiance. I've always played fetch with her and when I do - I've made her sit and go through a routine....."READY?".....ONE.....TWO......THREE, and throw. so if I want her to drop something I just say "READY?" and she gives it up....lol I'm sure she'll catch on sooner or later, but for now I just give her praise, and a little nibble of something (usually carry something in my pocket).

Sorry this is so long - I just find all this really interesting to see how similar they can be - regardless of age. Both my girls will be 1 next week.

Donna......owned by Bridget and Greta (and wouldn't have it any other way!)
DamSweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!