View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
EarthAngel
Donating YT 6000 Club Member

Bentley was here before Baxter, my Boxer. I have kept the mantra that Bentley gets the treats first, food bowl first and anything else first. When I feed them, Bentley has to sit first and then I put the bowl down. Then Baxter has to sit first and then I put the bowl down. They eat side by side. If Bentley gets done first and goes to Baxter's bowl I tell him no and he goes. I also put my hands right in the bowl while each is eating to make sure I have no food aggression with me being right in there.

When they have bully sticks...I give Bentley's his first and off he goes to his bed and then I give Baxter his and he goes to his. If there is the first sign one of them wants the others' I get right there and tell them this is theirs and make them go back to their bed.

Toys are a different thing. I let them do their thing. I could have 4 same exact toys and whatever one has the other thinks it is the one he has to play with. I let them play with the same one. I think reinforcing that Bentley is the alpha over Baxter the Boxer has done wonders. It is not too late to do that with Cooper and Max. Max is still young and you can feed Cooper first, he gets treats first and whatever first. I would try that. Also I would try while you have one by themself to learn the drop it or leave it command. To me it is important they learn that. If something falls on your floor you don't want them to have, it could be a medicine or whatever...it would be beneficial to know they will drop it or leave it.

Looks like I wrote a book again...but I hope some of what I said makes sense.

Dyan
EarthAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!