View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
AllDogBoots
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default When Playing Becomes Fighting

For the most part, Cooper and Max play well together. For those who don't know, I got Max 2 months ago and he is 18 weeks old. Cooper is 2.

They will play so nicely for a while. They always want what the other one has, so if Cooper has a toy, then Max must have that same toy. They go back and forth for a while until one of them finally gets the toy and then plays independently with it.

With that being said, Cooper is a pretty selfish dog. If they are tugging at a bully stick together and then Cooper goes to lay down, then Max may walk up to him (thinking they are still playing) and try to get the bully. It then turns into a fight where Cooper snaps at him and actually grabs him with his mouth. I fear if I don't break it up it could get ugly. Sometimes even when I try to break it up Cooper will not let go and Max screams. It is no longer play. It is definitely a fight and scares me. If I don't intervene I fear it will elevate and Max will truly get hurt.

When they are eating Max always finishes first. When Max is done he will be nosy and go to Cooper's dish. Cooper will snap at him, nearly biting him and Max screams. I've since trained Max to sit when he is finished.

This is now happening more often. I think Cooper is trying to tell Max to stay away at certain times, but Max isn't getting it. If Cooper is sitting, playing independently and Max disrupts him and Cooper snaps, am I supposed to control Max for bothering him or Cooper for being aggressive. I am confused. Am I supposed to be teaching Max boundaries or teach Cooper to play nicely.

At this point I could never imagine leaving them home alone without keeping Max confined.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!