View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
dottiesyrky
Donating YT Addict

Default Scary Giardia Incident

Hello;
I took my little dog to Petco to buy a coat and needed him for sizing. I usually do not take him to pets stores especially Petsmart as they have a Vet there and sick dogs wander around. This time I was going to put him in a cart and not walk him in the Petco store (even though no Vet inside).
Outside I had my dog on a leash and was walking to the carts outside the door. I saw a lady with a cute (and healthy looking!!!) small dog on a leash on the ground outside the door just 'hanging around', and I asked the owner if her dog was friendly as my dog loves to greet other dogs. She said yes but that her dog 'had a problem'!!! He had Giardia!!! Yet there she was parading the dog outside and also had been in the store. I was horrified and quickly picked my dog up and put him in the cart - and kept him there!!!
How could anyone take their dog into a petstore and let it roam around to infect other animals??? The store clerk heard my conversation and was also very upset and told the other dog owner her fortune, thank goodness. He did not know of the situation until I spoke to the woman and was grateful to find out from my incident.
So I hope my little one did not get close enough to catch the disease, but want to warn people of the kind of dangers one can unknowingly meet in pet stores by thoughtless owners.
Just before anyone chastises me should Giardia not be easily passed on to other dogs, the message is the same - you never know what disease dogs are carrying and cannot depend on the good sense of some owners.

Last edited by dottiesyrky; 10-05-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo
dottiesyrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!