Thread: I need help.
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxnRuby View Post
Our 7 month old Yorkie is about 2.5-3lbs. She had been doing great with potty training until we had our baby 2 weeks ago. She is now going potty in her crate EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. We have 3 kids and the oldest will be 4 on Friday so you can imagine we are BUSY! We are at our final straw with waking up to a mess and having to bathe her. PLEASE I NEED ADVICE. What is the problem? Why is she doing this? Ill list what we have already tried.

Her crate space is TINY now.
Only feeding her once a day and limiting water. NO FOOD or WATER after around 2:00 or so.
Taking her out in the middle of the night. We took her out last night at midnight and 3 am when I woke up to feed baby at 7 I go to let her out and she had peed in her crate.

Any advice I NEED it.. My husband and I are so furious and need this to stop NOW. She isnt eating or drinking well anyway since the baby has been home anyway. Ive given her Nutrical a few days just to make sure she does get hypoglycemic.

Thanks so much for listening we really love her but cant do this much longer. She was holding it from midnight until 6 or 7 before and that was being feed and drinking water at around 4 or 5.
It is obvious that your puppy is reacting to the change in your household. The addition of a baby is a BIG change. Her routine has most likely been disturbed, and it is not uncommon for a wee one's "nose" to get out of joint with less attention, perhaps less exercise, less play time with you etc.

I'm assuming you have outdoor trained her? She hasn't been trained to wee pads?

In the very short term here is what you can try - it is not a solver of the underlying likely problem, but will help you deal with the constant mishaps.

Go to your pet store, buy a pair of panties for dogs that come into heat. Call first because you will need an xxs pair, you line this with a panty liner sanitary pad. Put these on her whenever you crate her. And prior to bed time. Easier to change a pad, then to have to rewash all the time. Get some unscented baby wipes, and you can clean her off when she has soiled her diaper.

Take her out to pee on a REGULAR schedule, 10 minutes or so after eating, after playing, and or every 3 hours. Reward her handsomely for going. Make sure you remove the panties. Before taking her outside.

You do have a full plate, but you want to get back on track, with your previous play/exercise regime for her. Perhaps their is an older girl or boy in your neighbourhood, 13/14/15 or so years old, that is dog experienced who you can pay to play and walk her for about an hour a day. If not you may have either professional dog walkers, or doggy day care she can go to. Again often times good pet stores have brochures on this kind of service.

She is a bit young, and still too small to go on only one meal a day. After dinner walks and play time might be best, as she can get tired after all that exercise.

She is still very young in doggy years, kind of like a one year old human baby, so mishaps will continue to happen.

Having young puppies, with young children and babies, is a very big undertaking, and not usually recommended, as the needs of both pups and babies are very time consuming.

I hope this can work for you, and for your puppy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!