View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
star431
Yorkie Talker

Again I am not a professional trainer but this is how I would handle it. If she is coming right up to you excited and ready to play, go with it. Be slow, do not make any sudden moves that may come of as aggressive to her. I certainty would not ignore her if she is willing to go to you.

As far as the maids go, establishing who is their "master" is pure animal instincts. She may just feel more comfortable around them since they are around more. If you want to be their master you have to make your self the alpha. Usually a male takes this on but can be achieved by a female as well if you do it the right way. You have to show them you are the dominate one of the pack (the pack leader). Two great ways to bond with your dog if 1: Walking them. It is so beneficial, everything with confidence, exercise to making them feel like more of a pack with you. 2: Playing with them. If you have a softer toy that you can hold one end and they pull the other. The dog will usually thrash the toy around and growl. The first time I saw Star do it I got really concerned that she was being mean, so I did some homework and found that its the instincts to act like that. Like they are killing an animal with you. It forms a bond. If you are worried that the maids are spending to much time with her, then get a crate if you do not already have one and put her in there for some of the time. Not all day, she should be able to interact with them.

The trainer that told you she needs a safe place is complete right. A crate is a great thing for them. Leave it open and easy for her to get to at anytime. Making it really soft with blankets and putting a sheet over it makes it even more comforting to them. I highly recommend that. I would also recommend reading about the roles that animals play in the packs. It really gives tome insight on why they act the way they do. Here is a great version. Alpha (ethology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
star431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!