View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
CruiserCody
Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi lisaj, Cody is 8-1/2 months old and I took him to a puppy class at Petco when he was about 6 months old. It was more for me than him as I didn't know what to do to train him. A couple of things I learned is "leave it" and "heal". While Cody hasn't completely mastered either, those commands do get his attention. I walk Cody every morning through the neighborhood and sometimes he is still a handfull. I always carry treats for when I need to distract him. Cody picks up (and eats if I don't catch him) lots of things but I tell him to "leave it". Cody will "heal" for a short distance (and I use that when there is something I know will distract him). It's amazing how many words our babies understand -- I tell Cody to "wait" when he starts pulling me. The latest thing for him is excessive barking when we meet a jogger or another dog. I tell him "no barking" and if he refrains from going nuts, I give him a treat or lots of praise.

I guess the bottom line for us has been a little training and consistency. When we went on vacation this summer and Cody didn't get to go on walks as much, it was like starting over when we returned. But after a few days back home, he "got it".

Sounds like you are doing great on all the other fronts, this one may just be a "small hurdle". Good luck!
CruiserCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!