View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #26
chloeandj
Tinkerbell, My Little Flutterpup
Donating Member

Default I have both maltese and yorkie as well...

I love maltese and hope to show and have a house full one day. I also have a 13 week old yorkie. She is wonderful! But they have complete opposite personalities! I think I could only have one yorkie. She's a lot of work and needs a lot of attention. Loves to learn new things and has been learning new tricks almost daily. She loves everybody! She keeps us laughing and saying "she's something else".
My maltese on the other hand is very laid back, happy to lay at my feet or lap all day. So I am able to take her to work with me and everywhere in the car with me. I am her favorite person and I love that. I love the grooming aspect of both breeds, so I can't complain too much. You just have to be very educated about the coat of a maltese when looking for a puppy. No curls, it has to be silky. My maltese has wavy hair and can mat pretty bad, I brush her everyday. But my mom has a maltese with very silky hair and brushes her once a week with her bath and that's it! Keeps her in her full length coat too! You also need to know about why the maltese hair can stain. You can not feed food with dyes or hard city water you have to give bottle water and good brand of dog food to prevent the mouth staining, if they are teething, in heat, allergy problems that will cause it around the eyes. Allergies can also cause them to lick their feet and behind causing the staining there as well. If your dog ends up having that problem you can try different brands of dog foods etc to help with that. If my maltese gets staining around the eyes I just brush a toothbrush dipped in peroxide on the hair everyday and it keeps it very light.

You just need to decide which personality is right for you...Although I know yorkies that are extremely laid back and calm and maltese that are hyper and stubborn. Just be educated when looking for your new pup and what qualities to look for.

Here's a few pictures of Chloe, in some of the pictures you can see some very light staining around the eyes... The last picture was taken this morning! After having a bath last night too! However I don't get that upset with her. She loves to snoop in the back yard. It dries and brushes out or a bath would have her sprarkling white again.
Attached Thumbnails
Yorkie or no yorkie?!?!-chloeleoharness.jpg   Yorkie or no yorkie?!?!-dress.jpg   Yorkie or no yorkie?!?!-greycoat.jpg   Yorkie or no yorkie?!?!-dirty-chloe.jpg  

Last edited by chloeandj; 04-01-2005 at 09:46 AM.
chloeandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!