View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
star431
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcstr View Post
One more comment. One thing that has to be remembered over all is that something like 85% of the pet food market is dominated by 4-5 companies. Purina, Proctor & Gamble and Mars I think are the big 3.

These are the companies that own Eukanuba, Iams, Hills, Nutro, Pedigree, Milk-Bone, Ceasar and pretty much all the brands you see in Wall-Mart, Target, the supermarket etc. These are the foods that contain by-products, fillers, and some of the nastier ingredients.

The other 15% of the market is made up of the companies we talk a lot about here - Champion, Fromm, Merrick, Solid Gold, Wellness to name a few. My opinion is that there is a vast difference in the ingredients that big 85% use vs the smaller companies. Read the labels and once you read the ones for the quality companies, you'll be able to spot the bad ones very easily.
Before I did not know that Eukanuba was owned by a company that makes the same food that I have always stayed away from (ones sold in walmart, target) until now. One of the big reasons we went with it was because it was only sold in "specialty " stores or Petsmart, Petco, ect.. When I found this out I must say I was really disturbed.

Thank you so much for all of your input! Its been a real help. I think we are going to have to do some research and a better food.
star431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!