View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
Marilize
YT 500 Club Member

That's a very difficult question. I think the extent of the guarantee differs with each breeder, some may cover all the expenses and some won't cover any. The question of whether a breeder SHOULD or shouldn't pay is an ethical one which the breeder must answer for themselves if there is no puppy lemon law in that state.

As I understand it, the optimal health guarantee should cover the dog for genetic diseases for the dog's lifetime and acute diseases up until the first vet visit. If the dog has worms or some acute condition, it will be picked up at the first visit and treated. Personally, I think it is the breeder's responsibility to make sure that their puppies are parasite-free and I think that the breeder should cover this cost, provided that the pup sees a vet within 48 hours.

Because some genetic disease only show up after 5 years, I think the breeder should cover hereditary issues for the dog's lifetime, with the exception of certain conditions which could also be caused by neglect or physical injury.

I actually think that the new owner should also sign a care guarantee stating that they will provide optimal care for the puppy for the rest of its life. This could help protect the breeder in cases of unscrupulous pet ownership. I know of one case where a yorkie puppy died from hypoglycemia after the breeder gave detailed instructions and printed information sheets to the owner. The owner neglected to follow these guidelines and the puppy died. In this case, I think the breeder should have some recourse for the neglect of the pup as well as a foot to stand on if the owner should decide to try and get money out of the breeder.

I'm sure the established breeders on YT will be able to give you exact answers on how they do things. I'm also speaking theoretically here.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!